[Opt-net] Two PhD/postdoc positions at TU Berlin

Marco Luebbecke m.luebbecke at math.TU-Berlin.DE
Mon May 4 10:57:21 MEST 2009

The "Combinatorial Optimization & Graph Algorithms" group at the
Technical University Berlin, http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/coga/,
invites applications for

2 POSITIONS AS RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
(Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in, BAT IIa)

within the research project "multi-criterial optimization of
transportation problems in logistics" funded by the European
Union. Ph.D. students or postdocs are equally welcome. The
positions are expected to start June 1, 2009.

The three-year project is about modelling practical transportation
problems, designing optimization and approximation algorithms,
analyzing their complexity, and implementing a software tool to solve
such problems in industrial practice. The latter part is in close
connection with a software and consulting company in Berlin. A
particular focus is on multi-criteria objective functions.

The COGA group, headed by Rolf Moehring and Martin Skutella, has some
20 researchers, PhD students and postdocs, interested in areas as
graph algorithms, integer programming, scheduling, robust
optimization, network flows, and game theory. Our work is known to
well balance theory and practice; we offer a friendly and professional
working environment with a pronounced team spirit.

Formally, you have

- a Master's/Diplom degree (or above) in discrete mathematics,
  computer science, or a related discipline.

Ideally, you have

- a significant affinity to both, theory and practice, that is:
- solid knowledge in at least one of combinatorial optimization,
  algorithm design, or integer programming
- strong computer skills in general, and experience in implementing
  larger software projects in C/C++ in particular
- experience with industry projects is an asset

Please send your application with the usual material with a short
letter of motivation no later than May, 22 2009 via to

Technische Universitaet Berlin
Institut fuer Mathematik, MA 5-1
Gabriele Klink
Subject "MultiTrans"

Strasse des 17. Juni 136
10623 Berlin
Germany

Applications via email to klink at math.tu-berlin.de are most welcome.

Questions about the project itself can be directed to Britta Peis,
Tobias Harks, or Marco Luebbecke via email or phone (see our group's
web page for contact details).