[Opt-Net] Two invitations for "Computational, and Mathematical Methods in Data Science"

Gitta Kutyniok kutyniok at math.tu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 2 18:31:01 CEST 2019

Dear colleagues,

Martin Stoll and I recently founded an Activity Group for the currently
rapidly
expanding field of "Computational and Mathematical Methods in Data
Science",
in particular, with the aim of supporting the communication in this
field within
mathematics and with computer science and application areas (e.g.
emailing list,
newsletter) as well as supporting young researchers (e.g. job forum).

Since the field of optimization is a central component of this research
area, we
are especially happy about members from your community and would like to
invite you to join our group via
https://www.tu-chemnitz.de/mathematik/wire/cominds/ or by email to
us. Our group is formally linked to the GAMM, but it is not necessary to
be a
member in this; likewise no membership fee is due.

At the same time we would like to invite you to our inaugural workshop on
24+25.10.2019 at the Zuse Institute Berlin (ZIB), where a bouquet of
invited
lectures from all directions of research in this field will be
presented. You are
certainly all -- independent of a membership in the Activity Group --
cordially
invited. Our three main speakers are:

  *      Francis Bach (INRIA)
  *      Alexandra Carpentier (University of Magdeburg)
  *      Arnulf Jentzen (ETH Zurich)

The other invited lectures will be presented by

  *      Kristine Bauer (University of Calgary, Canada)
  *      Peter Benner (Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany)
  *      Hanno Gottschalk (University of Wuppertal, Germany)
  *      Matthias Hein (University of Tübingen, Germany)
  *      Klaus-Robert Müller (TU Berlin, Germany)
  *      Frank Noé (FU Berlin, Germany)
  *      Philipp Petersen (University of Oxford, UK)
  *      Holger Rauhut (RTWH Aachen University, Germany)
  *      Sebastian Reich (University of Potsdam, Germany)
  *      Sebastian Sager (Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Germany)
  *      Gabriele Steidl (TU Kaiserslautern, Germany)
  *      Bernd Sturmfels (MPI Leipzig, Germany)

There will also be a poster session, for which one can submit a poster via
our webpage.

The registration deadline is September 15, 2019. You can register via
https://www3.math.tu-berlin.de/numerik/CMMDS19/index.html

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am very much looking forward
to your feedback.

With best regards,
Gitta Kutyniok

--
Prof. Dr. Gitta Kutyniok
Einstein Chair for Mathematics, TU Berlin

Technische Universität Berlin
Institute of Mathematics, Sekr. MA 5-4
10623 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 (030) 314 25758