[Opt-Net] PhD student position (f/m/d) in Optimization and Machine Learning, (Ref. 22/24) at WIAS, Berlin, Germany

Heike Sill sill at wias-berlin.de
Fri May 20 10:53:20 CEST 2022

WIAS invites applications for a

PhD student position (f/m/d)

in Optimization and Machine Learning

(Ref. 22/24)

in Weierstrass Group “Data‐driven Optimization and Control” (Head: Dr.
Jia-Jie Zhu) starting as soon as possible.

We are looking for candidates motivated in researching principled
optimization and machine learning. The concrete methodological
components of the Ph.D. project include

  * Continuous optimization for machine learning, deep learning,
    reinforcement learning
  * Optimal transport and gradient flow for machine learning and
    optimization
  * Robust optimization
  * Robustness and generalization in learning with a focus on
    decision-making
  * Dynamical systems modeling and optimization
  * Interfacing learning theory and optimization

The Ph.D. student will closely work with Dr. Jia-Jie Zhu (
https://jj-zhu.github.io/).

Qualification:

We invite candidates with a master’s degree in computer science,
statistics, or applied mathematics, with a special focus on rigorous
training in machine learning or optimization. Those qualifications are
demonstrated by high-quality technical reports or publications in
relevant venues such as
(NeurIPS/ICLR/AISTATS/ICML/AAAI/CoLT/ALT/JMLR/STOC etc.). Candidates
with strong applied or industrial experiences will also be considered.

What we offer:

  * Close mentorship: the Ph.D. candidate will receive responsible and
    careful mentorship. We emphasize fostering a healthy mentor-student
    relationship.
  * WIAS Berlin is a premier research institution known for its strength
    in optimization, optimal control, dynamical systems, and applied
    mathematics in general. It has hosted the flagship conferences in
    mathematical optimization, such as ICCOPT 2019.
  * A certified (Audit berufundfamilie) family-friendly work environment.

Please direct queries to Dr. Jia-Jie Zhu (zhu at wias-berlin.de).

To apply, please send the following:

  * 1-2 page cover letter (including a very brief research statement)
  * CV with links to your existing projects and works
  * Master's thesis (or draft if not yet completed)
  * Transcripts for bachelor's and master's
  * contact information of 2-3 references from previous research
    projects who have agreed to be contacted
  * apply via our online job-application facility
    <https://short.sg/j/18496523>using the button “Apply online
    <https://short.sg/a/18496523>”

The appointment is for 36 months. The reduced work schedule is 29,25
hours per week, and the salary is according to the German TVoeD scale.

The Weierstraß Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We explicitly
encourage female researchers to apply for the offered position. Among
equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.

The advertisement is open with immediate effect and will remain open
until the position will be filled.

We are looking forward to your application!

See here for more information:https://short.sg/j/18496523
<https://short.sg/j/18496523>

--
Administration
Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics