[Opt-Net] PhD position in mixed-integer and nonconvex optimization at Zuse Institute Berlin

Ksenia Bestuzheva bestuzheva at zib.de
Thu Nov 16 11:34:15 CET 2023

The mathematical optimization methods group at Zuse Institute Berlin is
now inviting applications for PhD positions (pay grade E13 TV-L Berlin
(100%)) for the initial period of 15 months with the option of
extension, beginning at the earliest possible date.

Our group conducts research on the theory and practice of solving
mixed-integer linear and nonlinear programming problems to provable
global optimality. Our work is centered around integer and spatial
branch-and-bound algorithms and their components such as relaxations,
primal heuristics, presolving techniques and others. We integrate our
methods into the open source constraint integer programming solver SCIP
(https://www.scipopt.org/).

Potential project topics include but are not limited to: 1)
structure-driven primal heuristics for (mixed-integer) nonlinear
nonconvex programming problems, in particular heuristics guided by
conditions for generalized convexity, and 2) linear programming with the
emphasis on the efficient solving of LPs within branch-and-bound
algorithms, with the possibility of expanding into studying the
application of other relaxations to solving MI(N)LPs, and reoptimization
for MI(N)LPs.

Applications should be submitted by email to jobs at zib.de. Further
details about the position and the application process can be found
here: https://www.zib.de/node/6021. The application deadline is December
17th 2023.

Informal inquiries to Ksenia Bestuzheva (bestuzheva at zib.de) are welcome.