[Opt-Net] Open PhD position in Problem Shaping for Mathematical Models of Scheduling Problems

Andrea Raith a.raith at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 7 22:41:55 CET 2024

We invite applications for a fully funded PhD position in Operations
Research at the University of Auckland.

Project Summary:

Many organisations have complex scheduling problems that they model as
generalised set partitioning models and then solve using integer
programming optimisation techniques. These problems arise, for instance,
in the airline operations, rostering of medical personnel, forestry
management, or collection and processing of goods (such as milk) and
many other contexts.

These problems have mathematical formulations with a special structure
(generalised set partitioning models). Due to their prohibitively large
size, the problems are commonly solved using decomposition algorithms.
Decomposition approaches initially solve a simplified optimisation
problem, and then repeatedly augment this problem with new schedules
(e.g. sequences of work tasks) that improve the solution. Our recent
observations hint at the impact of the augmentation approach itself,
where, by carefully shaping the formulation, we can create favourable
model properties that speed up the solution process. This allows us to
obtain high quality solutions faster. We will systematically propose and
analyse problem shaping approaches to develop a theoretical
understanding of this new approach

For more information, please see here:
https://orsnz.org.nz/blog/2023/12/08/funded-phd-at-uoa-problem-shaping-for-mathematical-models-of-scheduling-problems/

If you are interested or have any questions, please get in touch as soon
as possible with Andrea Raith a.raith at auckland.ac.nz or Andrew Mason
a.mason at auckland.ac.nz

--
Andrea Raith (She/Her)

Associate Professor, AD PBRF, ORSNZ President
Engineering Science, Faculty of Engineering
University of Auckland
New Zealand
Phone: +64 9 9231977
email: a.raith at auckland.ac.nz