[Scip] Informing SCIP there is an integer solution in a branching node

E. van der Veen E.van.der.Veen.7 at student.rug.nl
Tue Dec 2 17:55:10 MET 2008

Hi all,

Currently I'm trying to find a way to inform SCIP that
there IS an integer solution in some particular branching
node(s) during solving

By the definition of my branching procedure, with my
Branch-and-Price solution approach, it can happen that
when the branching tree is at full depth (by which I mean
that there are no branching decisions left for the
branching to take; everything that can be branched on is
branched on) SCIP does not find an integer solution among
the columns found (because there is none).
However, when all relevant branching decisions have been
made the problem I left with is a 'simple' b-matching
problem which can be solved simply, because it has a
totally unimodular matrix. This is something I do via
solving a (small) ILP.
However, what I'm searching for is a way to 'inform' SCIP
during run-time that in the current node there IS an
integer solution (with some value), although SCIP might
not be able to find it. I would like to do this, such that
SCIP can use this to fathom other parts of the branching
tree.

Things I'm thinking about are:
- Setting the primal bound, however there are no
procedures for this in SCIP, which is probably for a
reason ;-), also I do not know whether this will only
influence the primal bound in this node, or whether this
is done on a more global scale;
- Using a procedure like SCIPprobSetObjIntegral() however,
this is a procedure in prob.h (and not in scip.h), which
also probably won't be what I need, and also not what I
should use.

So, if there is a way, there is probably a much
better/smarter way then the things I suggested. However,
I'm unable to find this.

Does anyone has a suggestion how I should approach this?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Egbert van der Veen