[Scip] scaling

Mahr Tamas tamas.mahr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:04:08 MET 2008

Thank you for looking into this!

I wonder if the problem is really at soplex. I have tried to solve the
same problem with the soplex shell command, and it can solve it very
quickly. (I guess it solves the lp relaxation of the mip, but I am
guessing here. In fact I have no clue how soplex interprets a mip.)

Looking into the soplex code reveals that their cli program uses the
MySoPlex class that is derived from the SoPlex class. The scip
interface class for soplex (SPxSCIP), however, is derived from a
different line, namely the SPxSolver class. This class is a sibling of
the SoPlex class. Unfortunately, the SPxSolver class do not use the
presolver or scaler classes that are used in the SoPlex class. That is
why the command line program can solve this problem, while the scip
solver cannot.

I think either the SPxSCIP class should be derived from the SoPlex
class and then it could make use of the scaling/presolving classes in
there, or the SPxSCIP class could at least mimic the SoPlex class by
applying the presolving/scaling classes in a similat manner. But maybe
I am totally wrong here, and scaling/presolving should happen already
in scip at the beginning of the branch-and-bound search and not in
soplex every time an lp relaxation is solved.

Tamas