[Scip] Mixed-integer problems making use of the alldifferent constraint

Tobias Achterberg achterberg at zib.de
Thu Oct 2 18:59:08 MEST 2008

Hi Nicolas,

during my research on combining CP and MIP I also thought that the alldifferent constraint
is a good candidate to integrate into a hybrid solver because of its quite strong domain
propagation capabilities.

However, I never found a practical problem class where the alldifferent constraint on
integer variables was useful in the modeling. Something like an alldifferent appears, for
example, in graph coloring and frequency assignment, and you can also model the traveling
salesman problem with an alldifferent. But in all of those problem classes, the
alldifferent is modeled by binary variables, mainly because you cannot really link those
general integer variables to other constraints.

Even toy problems like n-queens are, in my view, better modeled with binary variables
because the actual ordering of the general integer numbers does not play a role.

So, as a conclusion, my answer is that I never saw a practical problem for which an
alldifferent on general integer variables is useful for the modeling.

Best,

Tobias