[Scip] Memory Management

Robert Schmidt robert.schmidt at rwth-aachen.de
Wed May 19 18:48:22 MEST 2010

Hi,

I am using SCIP to solve a 0-1 Integer Problem within a Java Application.
I have implemented a shared C library, which provides a method
solve(double A[], double b[], double z[], double solution[])
to transfer the values of the mathematical problem and the solution
vector to the
shared library.
The mathematical problem is defined as:

min z*x
A*x \geq b

I am using the jna Interface [1] to call the solve Method of the shared
lib from Java.

The problems to solve reach a complexity up to 150.000 decision
Variables and up to
10.000 Constraints. The mathematical complexity is due to the structure
of the problem usually
manageable and it is very likely that SCIP finds a solution within 5
minutes.

Somehow when I call the solve Method with Problems with more than
approx. 70.000 decision variables,
the JVM just terminates with exit value 139. I don't get any further
information, no crash report, no log entries.

I have already tried to enlarge the heap size of the jvm to 1024 MB
without success.
I believe that this is a memory problem, although I am not sure about that.

Any Ideas how to solve this problem?
Is it possible to restrict the memory consumption of SCIP up to an upper
bound?

Thanks and Regards,
Robert

[1]