[Scip] How good are SCIP solutions?

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 24 14:59:43 MET 2012

Hi,

as long as solutions are feasible, the one with the smaller objective
value are better.

The points provided in MINLPLib should all be feasible. For easy and
medium difficult instances, they correspond to an optimal solution. For
difficult ones, they should correspond at least to a good feasible one.

Solutions you get from SCIP are usually feasible w.r.t. tolerances. In
the case of MINLP, we sometimes observed violations of nonlinear
constraints that are slightly above SCIP's feasiblity tolerance. We are
working on fixing this problem.

Since we have run SCIP also on MINLPLib instances and submitted
improving solutions to this library, it should be hard to find solutions
for MINLPLib instances with SCIP that have a smaller objective value
than the one given at the library.

Best,
Stefan