[Scip] Lower bound in branch and price method

Gerald Gamrath gamrath at zib.de
Tue Aug 6 15:41:59 MEST 2013

Hi Mahdi,

I can second Marco's guess, your pricing problem probably works incorrectly.

SCIP gets the value for the dual bound by solving the master LP to
optimality. In a branch-and-price context, this means that the
restricted master is solved to optimality, new variables are created
based on the dual values, the restricted master is solved again, etc.
When at some point, the pricer does not generate any new variable, SCIP
assumes that this means that there is no improving variable and takes
the LP value as a dual bound. If you want to stop generating variables
early in order to reduce the tailing-off effect, you need to set the
result pointer of the pricer to SCIP_DIDNOTRUN instead of SCIP_SUCCESS.
This tells SCIP that there might still be improving variables and the LP
value is no valid dual bound. See also
http://scip.zib.de/doc/html/PRICER.shtml

Do you have a minimization or maximization problem? In the latter case,
perhaps you forgot to multiply the original objective coeffcients of the
variables by -1 when creating the variable, see
http://scip.zib.de/doc/html/scip_8h.shtml#aadcc57e6efe08c07a23643d0e7fb3151