[Scip] How to force SCIP to branch first on integer variables before performing spatial branch and bound

Ahmad Moradi ahmad.moradi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 17:27:46 MEST 2013

Dear SCIP community,

In case when a MINLP is considered, how one could force SCIP to possibly
first do branching on integer variables before performing spatial
branching. Is that what SCIP automatically does?

Actually, the non-linearity in my problem comes from a concave objective
function. I have implemented the problem in both MINLP model and MILP model
( approximated by piece-wise linear function on a fixed number of
breakpoints) to SCIP and noticed that their initial relaxations are
identical (i.e the convex initial relaxation of the MINLP is identical to
the LP relaxation of MILP). Then I guess the only advantages of
implementing the problem as MINLP would be to use spatial branching. right?
this motivates me to ask the above question.

Bests, Ahmad