[Scip] Timing issues

Stefano Coniglio stefano.coniglio at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 15:17:23 MEST 2013

Hey Giacomo (and SCIPing people),

you know, I guess that's a reasonable behavior, kind of solver independent
I believe. Some months ago I run some experiments precisely to get a grip
on "how unstable computing times become when forgetting that an X core
machine differs from X independent ones".

My setup was: 27 miplib3 instances (solved in under a minute --I needed
quick results), CPLEX 12.x, a 4 core machine (with both TurboBoost and
HyperThreading disabled). I solved each instance 100 times using either 1,
2, 3, or 4 cores at the same time, then averaged everything. I have some
tabled data --but I guess that might be too much for the mailing list.

The results I had are, overall, that the average, over all instances, of
the maximum solving time using 4 cores can be up to 32% larger than the
average solving time using a single core. My figures are, roughly, +22% for
2 cores, +24% for 3, +32% for 4.

That +40% (200 over 500) seems kind of inline to me, although I have never
run experiments with larger instances with higher solution times --and I'm
interested in the outcome there.

To me, the tagline is: "regardless of how high X is, an X core machine
should run a single process a time, as much as possible)".

-Stefano

PS: did this earn me any beers? ;)