[Scip] cutting plane questions

Felix Breuer felix at fbreuer.de
Mon Jul 29 22:41:03 MEST 2013

Hello Timo, Matteo and Tobias,

thank you very much for all your feedback! Your comments have been very
helpful!

@Timo: Thanks for the pointers! With these settings I have been able to
generate many more cutting planes than I was able to previously. I'll
experiment and see if this gets me anywhere.

@Tobias: I am impressed that CPLEX was able to find an optimal solution
this quickly with a standard setting. I'll get my hands on an academic
license for CPLEX as soon as I have moved to my new position in Austria
(@RISC in Linz).

I don't need the solution vector, as I can write down an optimal solution
(with optimal value 0) by hand. But it is very good to know how to use
standard tools to solve this type of problem quickly.

@Matteo:

1) Yes, I guess you are right that heuristics are much more effective than
cutting planes here. My reasoning was that, even though the optimal
solution has an optimal value of 0 (which I know for theoretical reasons),
separators would iteratively cut of rational solutions on the optimal facet
until an integral solution is found. But thanks to Timo's tip, I see that
this is not much more effective than branch-and-bound.

2) Your proximity search heuristic sounds very interesting. I'll be sure to
try it out as soon as I have obtained a copy of CPLEX. Please let me know
when your method becomes available on NEOS!

3) I did not declare ep* and em* binary because I thought fewer integrality
constraints might make things easier. I'll check if I notice when I make
them binary.

4) Thanks for the pointer to your note on SVMs. I'll get back to you when I
have taken a closer look at it.

Cheers,
Felix

http://www.felixbreuer.net