[Scip] deleting variables in column generation

Alessia Violin aviolin at ulb.ac.be
Tue Oct 1 14:41:55 CEST 2013

Hello,

I am solving the linear relaxation of a problem with column generation,
and I wanted to try deleting columns in the solving process, to reduce
the size of the Master Problem and its solving time (which seems to be
the bottleneck for my problem).
I tried to follow instructions reported in the documentation
http://scip.zib.de/doc/html/FAQ.shtml#Q5.11, using the parameters
"pricing/delvars and delvarsroot". I marked my variables as deletable as
well. Everything works, and as results I get less columns at the end
(which is normal), and in the process I generate the same number of
columns as without the delete, meaning (I think) that only useless
columns are deleted, which is also nice. The weird part is that the
solving time of the version with the delete is bigger, and this increase
is for solving the Master Problem (the time for the pricer stays the
same). So, I was wondering from where this increase comes from. In
theory as I delete columns the Master is smaller, so it should be
quicker to solve.
Then I also tried to play with parameters "lp/colagelimit" and
"lp/cleanupcols and cleanupcolsroot", but changing their values does not
affect at all the solution time, the number of columns at the end or the
number of columns generated in the solving.

Do you have any insight of this behavior or any suggestion I could try?

I would also like to know how the "deletevars" work, meaning which is
the criteria used to delete a variable?

Thanks in advance,

Alessia

--
Alessia Violin
Service Graphes et Optimisation Mathématique (G.O.M.)
Email: aviolin at ulb.ac.be
Webpage: http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~aviolin/