[Scip] why the optimal solution has varaible with negative reduced cost

Ambros Gleixner gleixner at zib.de
Tue Aug 12 10:14:36 CEST 2014

Dear Xiangyong,

so this is not a numerical issue.  Everything is fine here: your
variable is at its upper bound and hence may have negative reduced cost
in an optimal solution.

Precisely speaking, an LP solution for a minimization problem is dual
feasible if
- variables not at their upper bound have nonnegative reduced cost
- variables not at their lower bound have nonpositive reduced cost
- same for slacks of inequality constraints and their dual multipliers

You may want to read about lazy bounds, see the FAQ in the online
documentation:

http://scip.zib.de/doc/html/FAQ.php

Kind regards,
Ambros