[Scip] Question about branching on master variables in SCIP

Yongjia Song ysong3 at vcu.edu
Thu Aug 6 20:01:57 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I have a question about how SCIP handles branching when only the master
variables present in the model. Taking VRP as an example, suppose we only
have the route variables (without the original edge variables or the
linking constraints between edge variables and route variables), and we
impose the integrality constraints on these variables, it is not clear how
branching on these variables are implemented in SCIP. Indeed, when a
branching decision is made on some route variable, it complicates the
pricing by forcing the pricing algorithm to avoid generating that route.
Without specific problem structure, it is not clear to me how SCIP handles
this case. Thanks a lot for your help!

SONG, Yongjia
Assistant Professor
Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO Box 843083
Richmond, VA 23284-3083
804-828-1149