[SCIP] resolve without pricing first in price&cut loop

Jens Leoff jens.leoff at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Thu Dec 3 14:41:14 CET 2015

Dear Jakob,

I only now find time to try your proposed solutions.
I think ensuring that the pricer runs for infeasible LPs should be okay,
I just won't change anything for calls to pricer_farkas. Using the
result from separation to decide if the pricer can be called via an
external method is an easy to implement idea, thanks.
Following this approach I wonder if this is sufficient to ensure that
the LP's are solved optimally.
If I read the Price&Cut loop correctly, I expect the following:
1) LP is solved with Pricing to optimality
2) The separator finds a violated constraint which is added to the
formulation
3) The pricer is called and returns SCIP_DIDNOTRUN, based on 2). However
there are negative reduced cost variables which do not get added.
4) LP is resolved, but is suboptimal.
5) The separator is called again and does not find a violated constraint.
6) The Price&Cut loop is terminated early, we do not use the dual bound.

If this is correct, do you have a suggestion how I could arrange for the
pricer to be called again after 5)?

Best

Jens

--
Jens Leoff
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik ITWM