[SCIP] Additional document about the bin packing example

Marc Pfetsch pfetsch at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Dec 5 18:21:25 CET 2015

Hi Feng,

have you looked at the doxygen documentation?

http://scip.zib.de/doc/examples/Binpacking/

The model is classical and discussed in

Gilmore P. C., R. E. Gomory (1961). A linear programming approach to the
cutting-stock problem. Operations Research 9: 849-859

Gilmore P. C., R. E. Gomory (1963). A linear programming approach to the
cutting-stock problem - Part II. Operations Research 11: 863-888

The branching rule is also classical and its principles are described in

D. M. Ryan and B. A. Foster: An Integer Programming Approach to
Scheduling, In Computer scheduling of public transport: Urban passenger
vehicle and crew scheduling, A. Wren editor, North-Holland 1981, 269-280.

Best

Marc