[SCIP] Question about Column Generation !

Gerald Gamrath gamrath at zib.de
Sat Dec 5 23:38:25 CET 2015

Dear Abdelkader,

in column generation, we are looking for improving variables, i.e.
variables with negative reduced cost (for minimization problems) which
the Simplex algorithm would enter into the basis. However, in the
pricing routine of column generation, we are only adding those variables
to the problem and are not adding them to the basis. After those
variables were added, the RMP will be re-optimized, and in this course,
the Simplex algorithm (if used) will decide on a column to enter the
basis and one to leave it (in each iteration, it might need multiple
ones to reach optimality again).