[SCIP] resolve without pricing first in price&cut loop

Jens Leoff jens.leoff at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Thu Dec 10 10:06:44 CET 2015

Hi Gerald,

thank you for clarification. Everything seems to work out, however
results were not as good as expected.

I then changed my pricer to be called whenever the LP objective is
greater than the node dual bound, and I return SCIP_SUCCESS without
pricing if they are already equal (by duality the LP solution is already
optimal, it may just violate some further constraints).
This improved performance by a lot for me.
I still check if separation will find a violated constraint in the case
where I would otherwise price. I count how often this occurs and do up
to k consecutive early terminations before pricing is called again. This
further improves performance, albeit not by much.

I am a bit surprised that the pricer is even called if objective value
and dual bound agree, I had expected different default behaviour.
I only realized that this is the case because of my troubles in the
price&cut loop, but the same does happen for the pricing loop.
At least for me these pricing calls are unnecessary, is there in general
a case where they are needed?

Best

Jens

--
Jens Leoff
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik ITWM