[Scip] Binpacking example

Felipe Serrano serrano at zib.de
Thu Mar 26 09:38:18 CET 2015

Hi Emily

Welcome to the SCIP mailing list!

To answer your first question: the binpacking example is an extension of
SCIP, meaning that it just adds a new reader, a new constraint, a new
branching rule and a new pricer.
Therefore, it works just like the normal SCIP. So after you compile you
can enter to SCIP's interactive shell via
bin/binpacking in Binpacking directory
>From there you can read a binpacking problem instance via
read data/u100_00.bpa   (this uses the new reader)
and finally you can solve it using
optimize    (and this uses the pricer, the branching rules, and the
constraint)
You can further see this by displaying information about the solving process:
display statistics
There you can find how much time (and other relevant information) was
spent in pricing, branching, etc

So, the "SCIPsolve(scip)" is hidden in:
SCIP_CALL( SCIPprocessShellArguments(scip, argc, argv, defaultsetname) );

By the way, you can solve directly a particular instance by calling
bin/binpacking -f data/u20_00.bpa

Regarding your second question: SCIP solves the LP relaxation of the
current integer problem. The dual values are the ones obtained by the
solution of the LP

Best,
Felipe