[SCIP] Scip and pricer

Stephen J Maher maher at zib.de
Wed Oct 7 14:10:10 CEST 2015

Hi Luca,

To solve your problem by column generation using SCIP you must implement
a variable pricer. There are two fundamental callbacks for a variable
pricer, PRICERREDCOST and PRICERFARKAS. Descriptions of the fundamental
callbacks are given in http://scip.zib.de/doc/html/PRICER.php.

Taking the PRICERREDCOST as an example, what must occur in this callback
is: identify whether a variable exists with negative reduced cost; if
one exists, then add that variable to the master problem. The way to
identify whether a variable with negative reduced cost exists is purely
up to you. As such, it is possible to execute algorithms that are
implemented in external libraries to perform this task.

What I would suggest is to write a header file containing all
declarations related to the pricer that you have already implemented in
C. Then you can include this header file in the variable pricer that you
write for your SCIP implementation. This will allow you to call your own
variable pricer from within the PRICERREDCOST callback to identify
variables with negative reduced cost.

Cheers,

Steve