[SCIP] checking gaplimit before branching

Horváth Markó horvathmarko89 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:21:56 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I'm using SCIP-3.2.0 and I'm dealing with a branch-and-cut procedure,
and I set gaplimit to 0.005 (that is, "limits/gap" was set to 0.005).
Here is my output:

/> (...)/
/> 35.0    1  38r    663    663    6913.000      -- 6924.000    Inf//
//> (pricing) no new column(s)//
//> (general event handler) [lpsolved] LP of node 1 was completely
solved with cut & price//
//> (branching) branching at node 1//
//> (branching) branching node: 1 same node: 2 diff node: 3//
//> (general event handler) [nodebranched] the focus node 1 has been
solved by branching//
//> problem has been solved with gap 0.0016/
/> (...)
/
In this output you can see that after some iterations my pricer could
not find new columns (hence my pricer sets result to RESULT_SUCCESS),
and SCIP says that the LP of node 1 was completely solved with cut & price/.
/So the root lowerbound is equal to 6913.000 and we also have a primal
solution with value 6924.000. So we have reached the gaplimit at the
root node, but as you can see SCIP didn't terminate but performed a
branching (actually using my branching rule). It's not a big deal, but I
wonder if we could avoid this unnecessary step (i.e., we could check gap
limit after a node is solved with cut & price).

Best regards,
Marko