[SCIP] use of SCIPgetTotalTime() function

Veronica Dal Sasso veronica.dalsasso at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:26:22 CET 2016

Hello everybody!
I am implementing my LP and column generation algorithm in C++ and I would
like to ask some further explanation on how the function SCIPgetTotalTime()
works. In the documentation it is written that it returns "the current
total SCIP time in seconds, ie. the total time since the SCIP instance has
been created".
Now, my program is made of, more or less, the following steps:

1) read data from file & store useful info
2) initialize the solver class - in here, there is an initScip() function
where the SCIP problem is created (SCIPcreate())
3) setup the problem and configure the pricer
4) solve the problem

I was pretty sure the time given by SCIPgetTotalTime() would include the
computational time for steps 2,3 and 4, but if I use the C++ function
time() from the time.h library to compute the time passed just for steps 3
and 4, it is already larger.

Am I missing something?
Thanks you all in advance,
Veronica