[SCIP] Implementation using SCIP/ZIMPL

Jakob Witzig witzig at zib.de
Wed Jan 13 14:31:43 CET 2016

Hi Natalie!

After a few minutes SCIP will finish the reading and creation process.
You need to create the lp files only once and afterwards you can read
the problem directly without using ZIMPL. I think the lines 21 -- 23 are
very time consuming.

By the way, the authors of your attached paper use W <= 200 and m <= 30.
In your instance you choose W = 10.000. Maybe you should use smaller
instances or be a little bit more patiently.

I think for instances of similar size like your carvbpp there is no
realistic chance to solve them in reasonable time with the formulation
you are looking at.

Best
Jakob

Am 13.01.2016 um 11:57 schrieb Natalie Hauck:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
> my name is Natalie Hauck and I study at the Johannes Gutenberg
> University in Mainz.
> Currently I am writing my Bachelor Thesis at the chair in
> logistikmanagement about " Models for the cutting stock- and bin packing
> problem".
> Main focus of my Thesis is to implement selected models using SCIP/ZIMPL.
> As I am a beginner in programming, therfore SCIP/ZIMPL is new for me, I
> would really appriciate it if you can help me.
> My question is about the Arc-flow model from Valério de Carvalho (see
> Carvalho Arc-flow.pdf / p.38).
> I already wrote it in ZIMPL ( with the help of your ZIMPL User Guide :))
> and it works with small instances perfectly (see easy.txt und carveasy.zpl).
> But the problem is that it wont work with larger instances (seebpp.txt
> und carvbpp.zpl). It cant even be read. There is no error message
> however there is nothing going on.
> So I think I know where I made the mistake because I probably modelled
> it a bit complicated (see carvbpp.zpl #Bögen). Therefore it is
> presumably too slow to read it.
> Do you know a trick how to formulate it better so it will work with
> large instances as well?
> I would really appreciate your help.
> Thanks in advance.
> Best,
> Natalie Hauck
> Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
> mein Name ist Natalie Hauck und ich studiere an der Johannes Gutenberg
> Universität in Mainz.
> Derzeit schreibe ich am Lehrstuhl für Logistikmanagement meine
> Bachelorarbeit über das Thema "Modelle für das Cutting Stock- und Bin
> Packing Problem".
> Schwerpunkt dieser Arbeit ist es, ausgewählte Modelle mittels SCIP/
> ZIMPL umzusetzen.
> Da ich Anfängerin im Programmieren bin, mir SCIP/ZIMPL daher auch neu
> ist, hoffe ich sehr, dass Sie mir weiterhelfen können :).
> Es handelt sich um das Arc-flow Modell von Valério de Carvalho ( siehe
> Carvalho Arc-flow.pdf / S.38).
> Ich habe das Modell (mittels Ihrem ZIMPL User Guide :)) schon in ZIMPL
> umgesetzt und wenn ich es laufen lasse, funktioniert es für kleine
> Instanzen ( siehe easy.txt und carveasy.zpl) auch einwandfrei :D.
> Allerdings bei größeren Instanzen (siehe bpp.txt und carvbpp.zpl) kann
> es noch nichtmal gelesen werden. Es kommt keine Fehlermeldung, aber es
> passiert einfach nichts.
> Es sieht so aus, als ob er mit diesen Mengenoperationen, die ich für die
> benötigten Bögen gebaut habe, extrem langsam ist (siehe carvbpp.zpl #Bögen).
> Gibt es da einen Trick, wie ich das besser formulieren kann, damit es
> schneller geht?
> Ich wäre Ihnen sehr dankbar.
> Danke schonmal im Voraus.
> Beste Grüße,
> Natalie Hauck

Jakob Witzig

Zuse Institute Berlin (ZIB)

Division Mathematical Optimization and Scientific Information
Research Group Mathematical Optimization Methods

Takustrasse 7
14195 Berlin

Tel. : +49 (0)30 84185-416
Fax  : +49 (0)30 84185-269