[SCIP] Settings for large continuous bilinear problem

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 3 13:03:18 CEST 2017

Hi,

proving optimality on such geometric problems is very hard for spatial
branch-and-bound based solvers due to the inherent nonconvexity of the
problem. Also with other solvers (ANTIGONE, BARON), I saw that proving
optimality for some kissing number problems can take a while.

The first attempt for saving memory in SCIP is usually to switch the
node-selection rule to depth-first-search, e.g., by setting
   nodeselection/dfs/stdpriority = 1000000
If you set a memory limit for SCIP (limits/memory), then SCIP will also
switch the nodeselection to DFS if the memory usage reaches 80%
(memory/savefac) of the limit.

The high memory usage for these kind of problems is usually caused by
the many local cuts that are generated by SCIP and stored in the nodes.
It's probably not so easy to reduce the amount of generated cuts, but
you could play with the options constraints/quadratic/sepafreq,
constraints/quadratic/minefficacysepa, and
constraints/quadratic/minefficacyenfofac.

Other options that might influence performance are
constraints/quadratic/disaggregate and separating/eccuts/{freq,...}.
If finding feasible solutions becomes difficult, then try to make the
multistart heuristic run more intensively
(heuristics/multistart/{freq,...}).

Also check whether you see any possibility to tighten the bounds on your
variables.

Hope that helps,
Stefan

http://www.gams.com/~stefan