[SCIP] write customized branching codes

Ziye Tang ziyet at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun May 28 23:11:23 CEST 2017

Hi there,

My current task is the following: I'd like to implement a customized
branching rules for my MIP problem. I have some prior knowledge to
partition variables into a few sets with `priorities' used for branching,
and the branching rules is (roughly) branching according to decreasing
`priorities'. Since I seem to be the first guy among my workmates to code
in SCIP, I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some guidance here.
I've decomposed this task into the following steps.

1. I can output my problem formulation in commonly used format like .mps,
.lp etc.. So I need a plugin to read my problem and partition variables in
the format into a few sets/blocks. Can I do that in the already implemented
reader plugin, or i need to follow the Binpacking example and write my own
struct?

2. Once I have created blocks of variables, should I follow the branching
code in Binpacking example?

I am reading your example while posting this question. Since I am not a
fluent C programmer, it might take me several days to understand what is
going on, I hope getting your reply while reading the code could accelerate
the whole process.

Thanks very much in advance,
Ziye