[SCIP] SCIP GAMS interface

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 26 09:17:54 CEST 2018

Hi,

like many solvers, SCIP works on a presolved/reformulated version of a
problem, which is equivalent to the original problem in a mathematical
sense, but can be slightly different when allowing for numerical
tolerances. The primal and dual bounds that you see during the SCIP run
are for this internal problem formulation. The final feasibility check
of SCIP, however, checks whether the computed solution is also feasible
in the original problem. In this case, it happened that there is a
violation that is above the feasibility tolerance.
Now, the GAMS/SCIP interface tries to repair this infeasibility by
calling out to Ipopt. Since the violation wasn't that small in your
case, it unfortunately happens that also the objective function value
moves when moving the solution back into the feasible area.

Btw, try writing the Boundary constraint as quadratic, something like
sqr(Y) + sqr(X) <= sqr(-2.5+Obj)
If you also have Obj.lo = 2.5, then SCIP should recognize this as SOC
constraint and may perform better.

Stefan