[SCIP] How to create initial solution file for ParaSCIP from NL-file

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 2 10:02:11 CEST 2018

Hi,

PIP and CIP do not support initial values. As far as I remember, also
OSiL does not support this, but the related OSrL is meant for storing
solution points. However, SCIP does not so far has a reader for
solutions in OSrL format.

The solution that ParaSCIP expects is probably in a simple .sol format,
which is a pair of variable name and variable value (separated by space)
on each line.

My suggestion would be to convert your NL files to PIP and SOL files,
that is, write the instance into the PIP file and the starting point to
the SOL file. OSiL instead of PIP would also work, but PIP is more
human-readable.

SCIP or ParaSCIP will only make use of initial values if they correspond
to a feasible solution, though. If you pass an infeasible solution, then
SCIP will just reject it, I believe. There are primal heuristics that
try to repair an infeasible solution or complete a partial solution, but
I doubt that they will become active when passing a solution file to
ParaSCIP. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Best,
Stefan