[SCIP] SCIP question: priced variables never show up in LP branching candidates

myroslav myroslav.kryven at uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Aug 20 11:46:18 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I am a PhD student at the university of Würzburg, I work on Graph
Drawing and am trying to implement a branch and price algorithm to solve
ILPs arising from some graph drawing problems using SCIP. I am quite new
to IP solvers and algorithms and wanted to ask two questions: 1) about
what could possibly go wrong in my implementation and 2) about how
branch and price algorithm works in  SCIP.

1)

For any node in the branching tree when I do branching in the callback
BRANCHEXECL  it turns out that the priced variables never show up among
the LP branching candidates (obtained using method
SCIPgetLPBranchCands). It looks like they always have zero values in the
solution of the LP.  That is weird, because if the pricer has added
them, they should have nonzero values in the LP solution.  At the end of
the solving process the solution eventually contains some of the priced
variables even thought none of them was branched on. I wondered, what I
possibly could be doing wrong.

2)

Also I wanted to ask specifically about the branch and price algorithm
just to make sure if I understood it correctly. Does an LP at a
branching node get the priced variables of the parent node or the
pricing starts anew from a scratch(with no priced variables initially)?

Thanks in advance,

Myroslav