[SCIP] A couple of questions about heuristics and management of the B&B tree...

Emiliano Traversi emiliano.traversi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:46:39 CET 2018

Hi,

I am using SCIP to solve a  (quite complex apparently) MINLP, it's a
knapsack problem with a really complex objective function (an example is
attached, just in case). For this reason I would like to use SCIP mainly as
heuristic.

I looked at the documentation and here :

https://scip.zib.de/doc/html/PARAMETERS.php

and I tried to fix some of them but I admit I felt a little bit overwhelmed
by all the parameters :-).

For this reason, I would like to ask you the following questions:

 1 - Is it possible to set the frequency of all the heuristics as much
aggressive as possible, do you have a single parameters to do so? If not,
which heuristic do you recommend for my problem?

1bis: Can you explain how exactly the parameters
priority - freq - freqofs
work/interact?

2 - is it possible to limit the size of the B&B tree? I saw
limits/memory
but if this limit is exceeded, the process is terminated. Do you have just
a limit on all the open nodes. Probably this can indirectly achieved by
imposing to use a diving at some point but what king of diving? And how
exactly?

I hope the questions are clear. Thanks in any case for the great job you
did!

Best regards,

Emiliano Traversi