[SCIP] choosing the best operating system

Gregor Hendel hendel at zib.de
Wed Feb 21 10:39:18 CET 2018

Dear Fahime,

we cannot give you universal advise on the OS that suits your needs in
this forum. Usually, people do not really have a choice which operation
system to use, because it is fixed by the project/company/faculty etc.

SCIP has been developed and is best tested under Linux. Configuration
and Compilation is easiest under Linux. I would assume most people from
academia here are using SCIP under Linux, so even if you encounter
troubles,  we can easily understand or reproduce the issue.

Since SCIP can be built with CMake, however, it is simple to be built
under Windows, as well. If you are used to Windows and its tools, e.g.,
Office software, and need them for your project, I would not recommend
to switch.

I hope this helps.
Gregor