[SCIP] Optimal MIP branching

Pierre Le Bodic pierre.lebodic at monash.edu
Mon Jan 1 23:34:54 CET 2018

Hi Hanan,

We give an example in the paper "How important are branching decisions:
Fooling MIP solvers" ( https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orl.2015.03.003 ). The
instances are available here: http://miplib.zib.de/contrib/PierreLeBodic/ .

The paper "An abstract model for branching and its application to mixed
integer programming" ( https://doi.org/10.1007/s10107-016-1101-8 ) shows
that determining the optimal branching strategy in an abstract model of the
MIP B&B is at least #P-hard, thus it may be impossible to obtain in
practice the optimal branching strategy for what you call "interesting"
instances.

Kind regards,
Pierre