[SCIP] Does (may be in the future) SCIP provide checkpoint/restart features?

Ambros Gleixner gleixner at zib.de
Wed Sep 5 18:11:38 CEST 2018

Dear Vladimir,

This would certainly be nice to have, but it is not implemented.  I am
wondering whether any other MIP solver provides such a feature?

Your solution of using ParaSCIP probably does not work, unfortunately.
ParaSCIP would only save the open nodes in its load coordinator, which,
if you run with one SCIP solver, would be the root note of the search
tree.  Yuji Shinano might correct me if I am wrong.

Best,
Ambros

Am 01.09.2018 um 00:58 schrieb Vladimir V. Voloshinov:
> Dear SCIP Team,
> We could not find in SCIP documentation and in SCIP-console commands
> anything relating to rather useful capabilities (for long solving on
> standalone host)  - "checkpoint/restart" features.
> May be we missed them ?
> Or there are some workaround to do so?
>
> For example, one can "invent the wheel":
> ParaSCIP provides "chekpointing".
> So, it is possible to install some MPI on that "standalone host" and
> build ParaSCIP there.
> Now one can run ParaSCIP with only ONE working process (in addition to
> LoadCoordinator) and use ParaSCIP checkpoint feature...
>
> Why SCIP can not do the same without ParaSCIP code...?
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Voloshinov

Ambros Gleixner, Research Group Mathematical Optimization Methods at
Zuse Institute Berlin, http://www.zib.de/gleixner