[SCIP] separators and pricing

Jonas Witt witt at or.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Sep 17 11:04:57 CEST 2018

Hi James,

If cutting planes are added to the master problem, the corresponding
dual variables need to be considered in the pricing problem. If you
don't consider these dual variables, it will make the pricing problem
invalid. Usually the structure of the pricing problem changes when cuts
that are formulated with master variables are added, i.e., additional
variables or constraints have to be added to the subproblem. How the
subproblem is changed depends on the type of the added cut. This is why
separation is disabled in the bin packing example.

Alternatively, one can add cuts from the original problem in the context
of Dantzig-Wolfe reformulation; these cuts only change the objective
function of the subproblem. But in the bin packing problem the pricing
problems are aggregated, which is why this would reintroduce a lot of
symmetry and pricing problems have to be disaggregated again.

For more details, you can have a look at the following paper:
https://doi.org/10.1002/net.20471

Best regards,
Jonas