[SCIP] What SCIP does when objective function equal to zero

Leon Eifler eifler at zib.de
Mon Dec 30 13:32:01 CET 2019

Hello Vladimir,

I do not think there is a clear, general answer to your problem. It is
true that MIP solvers will usually perform better for optimization
problems than for pure feasibility problems of similar size, since a lot
of solving techniques use the objective function (e.g. pseudo-costs).
These techniques will not help if you do not have an objective function.

However, just keeping the same feasibility formulation and adding
penalty-constraints to the objective might not help, since then SCIP
will (broadly speaking) focus on the feasibility of those constraints
more during branching, which is not really your true objective (finding
any feasible solution or proving infeasibility).

What kind of constraints did you penalize, how did you select them and
how did your formulate your artificial objective function?

Sometimes it is possible to reformulate a feasibility problem to a
"real" optimization problem that you know to be feasible. As a simple,
abstract example consider a feasibility problem that models the
question: "Does there exist a set with less than n elements, that has a
certain property?". By instead solving the optimization problem "Find
the smallest set that has a certain property" and then just checking the
size of your optimal solution you have a "real" optimization problem.

I have found that for these kind of problems, SCIP will usually perform
better on the optimization variant.

Another thing that might help is to disable time-consuming heuristics,
if you assume that your instance is probably infeasible.

Best,
Leon

What kind of constraints did you bring into the objective function and
how did you formulate the penalty?