[SCIP] Bliss causing free() crashes

Christopher Hojny hojny at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Feb 9 09:18:18 CET 2019

Dear Alexander,

the good news: you did nothing wrong. Setting misc/usesymmetry to 1 or 2
activates symmetry handling in SCIP, and thus, the computation of
symmetries. The only difference is the used symmetry handling method (1
for inequalities, 2 for orbital fixing). Moreover, you can control the
point of time at which symmetries are computed, e.g., by

presolving/symbreak/addconsstiming
propagating/orbitalfixing/symcomptiming

in the first and last case, respectively. However, since your problem
contains exclusively general integer variables, neither method will be
able to handle the symmetries in your problem, because we currently only
support symmetry handling on binary variables.

I am not totally sure where the error comes from, but I guess it is a
memory issue arising since the symmetry group is too large. Did you try
to trace back in which routine the crash actually arises? If it is
really the size of the symmetry group, you may consider the bliss patch
provided via

https://scip.zib.de/index.php#download

The patch allows to limit the number of generators of the symmetry group
that are computed. By default, we use a limit of 1500 generators, but
you can modify the parameter by changing

presolving/symmetry/maxgenerators

I hope this helps, but I can also offer to have a look into your
instance to figure out where the crash actually comes from.

Best,
Christopher