[SCIP] Presolving after pricing variables

Gerald Gamrath gamrath at zib.de
Thu Jul 25 21:29:46 CEST 2019

Hi Jan,

there are two options that you already mentioned which I would suggest
as well, but I did not try them myself:

1) copy the problem using SCIPcopy(), where you can set copypricers to
FALSE. Additionally, you need to loop over all constraints in the
subscip once and set them to be not modifiable via
SCIPsetConsModifiable(). SCIP can only perform very few presolving,
propagation, and separation steps if constraints are marked to be
modifiable, because in that case, SCIP needs to assume that new
variables will be added to the constraint later which might conflict
with the reductions performed now.

2) Again, set all constraint to be non-modifiable, disable the pricer,
and then perform a restart and solve the problem.

In both cases, you potentially need to re-enable features that you
disabled for the column generation phase.

I would probably go for the second option first, because it should be
easier to implement, but I am not sure if perhaps some flags can still
be set incorrectly in that case. If you still observe considerable
differences, please write again.