[SCIP] Dependent variables?

Levinson, Richard J. (ARC-TI)[SGT, INC] richard.j.levinson at nasa.gov
Fri May 3 18:51:14 CEST 2019

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to specify that some variables are the "primary" decision variables to drive search, while other variables are "dependent" variables, which depend on the primary variables via constraints, so that the dependent variable assignments are made only after feasible assignments for the primary variables have been found.

Is there a way to tell SCIP that some variables are considered ‘dependent’, i.e. they should not be considered as part of the search space, but must be propagated using constraints in the problem?

Or if there is no way to specify that some variables should not be part of the search space, is there an option to specify the order/priority for assigning variables?  So the solver searches first through the domains of the primary (high priority) variables to find a feasible solution before it searches for consistent assignments for the dependent variables.

For example, we may have variables s, e, d, representing a job's start, end, and duration times, and we want to first search for feasible assignments for s and e before applying the constraint that e-s = d.

Thank you,

    Rich Levinson