[SCIP] bilevel programming in SCIP

Ambros Gleixner gleixner at zib.de
Tue Mar 24 15:54:31 CET 2020

Dear Enrico,

SCIP by itself does not have any functionality for solving bilevel
programs out of the box.  However, SCIP can certainly be used to do so,
probably by writing a constraint handler that enforces optimality of the
lower level problem.

I know that Marc Pfetsch
(https://www2.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/~pfetsch/), Kai Hoppmann
(https://www.zib.de/members/hennig), and Jakob Witzig
(https://www.zib.de/members/witzig, now at SAP) have at some point
experimented with bilevel in SCIP, maybe you can contact them.

Best,
Ambros

Am 17.03.20 um 12:50 schrieb Enrico Tesio:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks everybody for the great contribution that SCIP is.
>
> I was wondering if bilevel programming is supported in SCIP (and how?).
>
> I have a LP problem (call it problem A) which I would like to “nest”
> into a bilevel problem, where the upper problem would contain the
> Lagrange multipliers associated to some of the constraints in problem A.
>
> Can anything similar be achieved in the context of SCIP?
>
> Thanks a lot for any support
>
> Enrico

Ambros Gleixner, Research Group Mathematical Optimization Methods at
Zuse Institute Berlin, http://www.zib.de/gleixner