[SCIP] Check SCIP license issue and my understanding regarding Branch-cut-and-Price framework

Melvin Shih melvinshih at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 05:18:49 CET 2020

Dear SCIP team,

I solved a scheduling problem in an AI competition in Taiwan few months ago
with SCIP in Python environment .
A mathematical model had been developed and solved successfully in
prove-of-concept phase .
After an award had been achieved, I am interesting in further applications
with SCIP.

First of all, I need to check about license issues if I further develop the
model as a manufacturing scheduling optimization service for any customer,
since it will be no more academical projects.
Who will been charged by SCIP?  Customers, service developers, or both?
How will it been charged?
Considering some upcoming AI competitions will also been host soon in
Taiwan, It will be a chance to develop manufacturing scheduling
optimization services with SCIP.

Second, I am still lack of an overview of Branch-cut-and-Price framework
after reading SCIP Doxygen documents.
As all of us know that solving efficiency problems encountered after
variables increases, It bothered me a lot in my master and Ph.D. thesis
using Constraint Programming with ILOG about 15 years ago.
Consequently, The support of Branch-cut-and-Price framework is also the
reason choosing SCIP.
However, I have realized that Branch-cut-and-Price framework dose not fully
supported in Python according discussions in Github.
I have tried to rebuild my model in C environment although I am not
familiar to.
After an environment and variables of the model have been set up, I am stuck
with Constraint Handlers.
Should Constraint Handlers need to be applied for each of my existing
constraints, or I need to build my own Constraint Handler, it can be more
challenging to me.
Is there any guidance paper or document which providing a overview of
concept of Branch-cut-and-Price framework in details?
I am sorry that the example projects does not really helpful to me, a
researcher more than a programmer.
Any advise is appreciate.

Many thanks,

Melvin