[SCIP] Beginner Question (Installation)

Naga Venkata Chaitanya Gudapati - nagavenkata.gudapati@studio.unibo.it nagavenkata.gudapati at studio.unibo.it
Thu Oct 8 10:27:50 CEST 2020

Hello Bobby,

Welcome to the SCIP community. Ambros already answered your question and since I already drafted this email, I will send it anyway.

I think SCIP is well suited for your needs and I think you are better off installing the whole scip suite from source (https://scipopt.org/index.php#download and download the source code for scipoptsuite-7.0.1.tgz which is option 1 in your case) which installs the Soplex solver and ZIMPL modeling language. I had successfully used SCIP to create Branch And Price algorithms and also used SCIP to add cuts using the constraint handler mechanism that along comes with SCIP.

I can give some more information regarding installing SCIP on a UNIX based operating system (macOS or Linux) which is preferred.

You can use either CMAKE or MAKE to install the scip optimization suite.

Here is the installination instrcutions using make
https://www.scipopt.org/doc/html/MAKE.php

and here are the ones with CMAKE
https://www.scipopt.org/doc/html/CMAKE.php

Before installing SCIP it is good to have these libraries installed. You can use the package manager of your operating system (apt-get for linux) and install these packages.

This assumes that you have gcc and build-essential packages already installed.

apt install zlib1g-dev
apt install libgmp3-dev
apt install libreadline7 libreadline-dev
apt install libncurses-dev

You also need boost library and the boost library in my linux operating system's repository is outdated, so I had to compile the latest boost library manually.

You can follow the instructions on the links provided above and you should be good to go. This will install SCIP with Soplex as its solver.

Also always run make test to confirm your installation is working properly.

Good Luck,
Naga