[SCIP] Custom Branching / SCIPcreateChild

Jonas Charfreitag jcharfreitag at cs.uni-bonn.de
Thu Oct 22 15:02:02 CEST 2020

Dear All,

following the very helpful documentation on your website [1] I'm trying
to implement some custom branching rules, that branch on general
constraints. As described in the "Further information" section, I'm
making use of the functions SCIPcreateChild() and SCIPaddConsNode(). For
the createChild function two values "a node selection priority for each
node and an estimate for the objective value of the best feasible
solution contained in the subtree" have to be supplied. For this the
documentation suggests to make use of the functions
"SCIPcalcNodeselPriority()" and "SCIPcalcChildEstimate()", but as far as
I can see, those only work for branching on single variables.

Therefore I have the following questions: Are those values "only"
relevant for the node selection? If so, if I e.g. always create nodes
with priority 0, do I have to expect any negative side effects, apart
from the node selection becoming somewhat random? Or is there an easy
way for me to calculate the priority/estimate, when branching on general
constraints?

Many thanks in advance
Jonas

[1]: https://www.scipopt.org/doc/html/BRANCH.php

--
M.Sc. Jonas Charfreitag
Uni Bonn - Institut fuer Informatik - Abteilung 1

e-mail: jcharfreitag at cs.uni-bonn.de
web: https://ca.cs.uni-bonn.de/doku.php?id=people:charfreitag