[SCIP] Anyone else think at least some of the SCIP examples are a bit confusing to understand?

Thorsten Koch koch at zib.de
Wed Dec 15 14:01:10 CET 2021

Dear Matti

 > https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/traveling-salesman-problem-tsp-implementation/ <https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/traveling-salesman-problem-tsp-implementation/>

this is actually a rather bad example.

They write: "The problem is a famous NP-hard problem. There is no polynomial-time known solution for this problem."

while certainly true, they give the impression that this means their algorithm is useful, which it isn't.

In fact it is the most stupid one possible.
First there is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Held%E2%80%93Karp_algorithm
but essentially this is not how you would want to solve a TSP.
There the SCIP example is much more helpful.
(unless you you concorde https://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/tsp/concorde.html)

Best regards,
Thorsten

Am 15.12.21 um 13:19 schrieb Matti Viljamaa:
> Anyone else think at least some of the SCIP examples are a bit confusing to understand?
>
> I'm trying to learn SCIP with SCIP.jl, but e.g. viewing the TSP problem seems to me too lousily documented and I cannot understand all the parts of the (C++) implementation. It doesn't e.g. make very clear what kind of file input is expected. And I cannot
> find good explanation as to how the code is structured.
>
> Compare to e.g.
>
> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/traveling-salesman-problem-tsp-implementation/ <https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/traveling-salesman-problem-tsp-implementation/>
>
> The Sudoku example seems even less informative:
>
> https://www.scipopt.org/doc/html/SUDOKU_MAIN.php <https://www.scipopt.org/doc/html/SUDOKU_MAIN.php>

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existing.          -- Albert Einstein
Prof. Dr. Thorsten Koch /       Technische Universität Berlin
www.zib.de/koch        /                   and
koch at zib.de           /          Zuse Institute Berlin (ZIB)
_____________________/       Takustraße 7, 14195 Berlin, Germany
        and also                Phone +49-30-84185-213, Fax -269
Kooperativer Bibliotheksverbund Berlin Brandenburg (KOBV)
Forschungs- und Kompetenzzentrum Digitalisierung Berlin (digiS)