[SCIP] How to freely tune between pricing and cutting ?

Gerald Gamrath gamrath at zib.de
Thu Nov 11 15:22:06 CET 2021

Hi Alexandre,

what you could do to avoid changing the SCIP code would be to check
within your pricer if your separator will find cuts for the current LP
solution. For example, you could have an external function that you can
call from your pricer which returns whether a cut can be generated. If
that check may be expensive, you could buffer the generated cut so that
the separation call can directly add that cut. I could imagine that
having this close relation between cutting and pricing implemented in
your plugins could be beneficial anyway, e.g., if you want to make the
decision whether or not to continue pricing depend on the strength of
the cuts that your separator would generate.

Am 08.11.21 um 20:11 schrieb Alexandre Dupont-Bouillard:

> [...]
> price&cut process).
>
> A solution appears  to turn off the test stopping the price&cut process
> when no cut have been generated during a cutting round
> With such a deleted test, the price&cut iterations will have no end since
> the cutting and pricing rounds will call each other in a never ending loop.
> A way to stop this loop is to add a test having the memory of the
> previous round
> in order to stop when two successive non-inhibited price and cut
> rounds have produced
> nothing.
>
> Regards,
> Pierre and Alexandre
>

> Ps: Another disturbing problem for us was that a cutting round is
> launched only
> if the current solution is not integer: this is a problem for us
> because an integer
> solution can appear (before convergence) right after a pricing round.
> In this case, it is mandatory for us to do a second pricing round,
> even if our strategy
> is to alternate with a cutting round (our cutting procedure cannot
> produce cuts for integral solutions).
> We add a test at the beginning of the PRICERREDCOST callback for
> no-inhibiting the pricing
> when the current solution is integer.
>

> Le 2021-11-08 11:25, Edward Lam a écrit :
>
>> I have tried this. It sounds like this would work according to the
>> documentation but this does not work. Sometimes it skips pricing and
>> separation and goes straight to branching. I guess branching is
>> technically okay if the master problem is fractional but sometimes
>> its integral and gets messy quickly.
>> Cheers
>> Eddie
>>
>>> On 8 Nov 2021, at 7:10 pm, Maher, Stephen <S.J.Maher at exeter.ac.uk
>>> <mailto:S.J.Maher at exeter.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alexandre,
>>> Sorry about the delay in response to this question. This happens to
>>> be a question that we have not encountered before, so we needed to
>>> work out how to actually achieve this.
>>> I am not sure whether this would work, since I don't have an example
>>> to test with. I believe that by setting the result in your
>>> PRICERREDCOST callback to SCIP_DIDNOTRUN, you will terminate pricing
>>> and then continue with the rest of the node processing. The
>>> separation round will begin after you terminate the pricing round.
>>> There are two things to note here. The first is that if you add a
>>> cut, then the node processing will enter back into pricing. So you
>>> may want to keep returning the result of SCIP_DIDNOTRUN from your
>>> pricer while you want to keep generating cuts. The second is that if
>>> you don't add a cut during the separation round, then you will not
>>> enter back into the pricing round. So you must ensure that you have
>>> completely finished pricing before the final separation round.
>>> Since this is untested, please let us know if it works for your
>>> setting. If not, then we can think of a different approach.
>>> Cheers,