[SCIP] Using debugsol with branching rules

Matheus Ota matheusota at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 02:29:32 CEST 2022

Dear Scip Community,

I'm currently trying to debug my C++ program which incorrectly outputs a
non-optimal solution. I have a minimization problem and I have a solution
with value 673. My program when executed on my computer claims that a
solution with value 674 is optimal. However, if I execute this program on
another computer, it correctly outputs a solution with value 673. There are
also instances where my computer is correct, but the other computer is not.

In order to debug this problem I've compiled SCIP with -DDEBUGSOL=on and
I'm using the parameter "misc/debugsol" to pass the solution with value
673. One thing to mention is that I have custom branching rules which were
implemented via constraint handlers. When I execute the program with the
debug solution it is printing a lot of violated constraints in the
terminal, however, the violated constraints all seem to correspond to the
branching inequalities. Is there a way to suppress the errors specifically
for these inequalities?

Also, I would be thankful for any help here (as I'm getting out of ideas of
where the bug is)! I've checked my branching constraints and indeed, if a
solution is cut-off in one branch, then it is present in the other branch.
So the branching constraints are just partitioning the set of feasible
solutions (as expected).

Thanks for your time,
Matheus