[SCIP] Strict Integer Inequalities

Alex Meiburg timeroot.alex at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 01:17:24 CET 2022

I noticed that SCIP doesn't seem to like strict inequalities for integers.
When it solves

Maximize
st
k < 10
Integer

I get the solution

solution status: optimal solution found
objective value:                                   10
k                                                  10 (obj:1)

When of course that's not actually feasible. :) In this case of course it's
pretty simple to remedy by replacing "[foo] < N" by "[foo] <= N-1". But
that's not always valid, e.g. in the problem

Maximize
halfK
st
halfK < 10
halfK + halfK = k
Integer

... in which case the correct answer is 9.5 (and SCIP think it's 10). I'm
using SCIP v7.0.2. Is there any interest in fixing this, or at least,
documenting it better...? I skimmed and couldn't find any warnings about
not using strict inequalities.

-- Alexander Meiburg