[SCIP] **EXTERN** Re: unresolved numerical troubles

Marc Pfetsch pfetsch at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Nov 25 17:12:41 CET 2022

Hi Vladimir!

> Can you, please, answer a couple of questions:
> 1. As far as I understood, Marc Pfetsch recommended SCIP build with
> IPOPT, but my SCIP was built with it already.
> *I use SCIP 8.0.1/Soplex 6.0.1/Ipopt 3.14.9 now.*
> Is it possible to "stimulate" SCIP to use "more Ipopt" than LP by some
> SCIP parameters ?

IPOPT is only used in heuristics and not for solving the LPs. So using
"more IPOPT" will not remove your problems.

> 2. After the 10 warnings I see
> *(node 30317) numerical troubles in LP 175340 -- unresolved -- further
> messages will be suppressed (use display/verblevel=5 to see all)*
> Although SCIP continued solving to the normal completion it seems that
> these troubles slow down the solving process.
> Is it true? Are there any known evaluations of loss in performance for
> the case?

This indeed slows down the problem, because SCIP tries to recover from
the numerical problems. How much is lost depends on the particular
instance  and how often the numerical troubles arise.

Best

Marc