[SCIP] Negative Reduced Cost Vars not in LP

Gerald Gamrath gamrath at zib.de
Mon Sep 26 08:16:28 CEST 2022

Hi André,

SCIPvarIsInLp returns whether the variable is in the LP at the current
node. As you mentioned, a variable may not be in the LP because it is
removable and was aged out. Another reason why a variable may not be in
the LP is if it was priced at another node of the branch-and-bound tree.
Then, it was added to the LP there, but when SCIP jumps to another node
in the tree, only the variables that were in the LP at its parent node
will be in the LP initially.

Did you set PRICER_DELAY to TRUE for your pricer? The problem variable
pricer adds existing variables with negative reduced costs to the LP and
will be called before your pricer. If PRICER_DELAY is TRUE, your pricer
won't be called in a pricing round where already variables have been
added, i.e., if the variable pricer found existing variables with
negative reduced costs, those will be added, the LP will be reoptimized,
and a new pricing round will be started. Thus, when your pricer is
called, there should not be any columns with negative reduced costs.